e

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

There, But for the Grace of Thalia . . .

Some time ago, I mentioned that I'd attended the CMA Awards. I had had hopes of getting back stage to hand out my business cards to movers and shakers in the biz, but failed to do so, owing to circs into which I needn't go at this point; all water under the bridge, etc.

In anticipation of the event, I'd had cheesy business cards printed up tout d'suite. In doing so, I'd been called upon by the printer's web page to select a slogan to grab the potential customer's eye. I thought for a bit, and decided that "Tomorrow's Songs . . . Today!" struck just the right note: absurd, tongue-in-cheek, satirical. Entirely in keeping with my product, such as it is.

Well, for no particular reason, I googled the phrase this evening, and what do I find? An uncomfortably similar phrase, Tomorrow's Sounds Today, was the title of a Dwight Yoakam album from 2000. Indeed, Google reports that the album title is misreported as Tomorrow's Songs Today in various places.

Never mind that anyone would be so goofy as to use such an expression seriously. I can't help feeling relieved that I never had the chance to hand 'round those business cards. Instead of conveying the image I'd intended, they would have given the false impression that I was specializing in the purveyance of Yoakam hokum. Not the right note, at all.

Yep, I never got back stage at the CMA Awards; and all is for the best in this best of all possible worlds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ultra Linking