e

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Country Is Going To The Dogs

Last night, I attended the CMA Awards at Madison Square Garden, in anticipation of which I began a parody of Roger Miller's King of the Road, which, alas, produced a writer's block the likes of which I haven't felt for over a year:

Trailers are now refined--
Chandeliered and carpet-lined.
Every amenity--
The taps give both "H" and "C."
But if
You ever visit one,
Here's a word of warning, son:
They've got
Everything,
But one thing:
Bring a commode.

Lyric © 2005 Nathaniel DesH. Petrikov

As I say--last night, I attended the CMA Awards; and the resultant aesthetic hangover this morning prompted the following terse lament, set to the refrain of Grand Old Ivy, from Frank Loesser's How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying:

Grand Ole Opry?
Lord, what a laugh!
Grand Ole Opry--
Absolutely naff.
"Grand Ole Opry"?
Try Grand Guignol.
Rock; rock; rock;
And then--some rock 'n' roll.

Lyric © 2005 Nathaniel DesH. Petrikov

Ah! Back to show tunes and Popular Standards. I feel a little better now.

1 Comments:

Blogger npetrikov said...

Tell me, thespywarepros, what nationality are you? I was going to say your name was Greek, but the "w" threw me off. The Greeks are still into digammas, are they?

Incidentally, thanks for the kind words. I wish you e-Godspeed, as your check out as many blog sites as you can!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ultra Linking