e

Sunday, July 31, 2005

New Release

No, not a new release of an album (as we used to call 'em); a new release to a song parody.

I spent the day (mentally, that is; geographically, I was in Hoboken, rejuvenating the household cache of spectacles) in rehashing bits and pieces of old stuff. For instance, in "Broadband Blues," of March 10, 2005, "'Cause I can't stand/Waiting around to see" is now "'Cause I won't wait/One minute more to see," an improvement in euphony (only Lina Lamont could sing can't on that high note), as well as in meaning and diction.

The new release is to Persianality, of March 2, 2005:

And what if Persian bombs
Should proliferate?
What would imams
Vociferate,
When Uncle Sam says, "J'accuse!"?
You know.

Lyric © 2005 Nathaniel DesH. Petrikov

I'm not sure what emphasizing would does to the sense, although I don't see how to avoid emphasizing it. Still, the thing beats the old stuff, which was merely a vague complaint that everyone hates America. This may or may not be so, but it was scarcely relevant to the theme of Persian-American relations. The new release continues the timeline now: Shah-Khomeini-whoever's-next. The question is also clearer (by a bit), so the coyly withheld answer is clearer. And I can't remember the last time I had occasion to use a three-syllable rhyme. (Ooh! Just like Gilbert and Sullivan!)

What it comes down to is that the release of van Heusen's Personality is a bitch. It's sing-songy, flat as a pancake, and full of long pauses. This, of course, is simply perfect for the original lyric, which is coquettishly sexy. But try to be satirical to the tune to it—can't be done. At least, not by me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ultra Linking