e

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Per Aspera ad Astra

(I hope I've got that right.) For Walter M. Schirra, Jr., has gone to his reward.

I marked the occasion of his 1962 flight with my very first verse, the refrain of which was:

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!
Hurrah for Wally Schirra!

It went on to say that he landed in the Pacific, and his aim was terrific (and so it was, according to the news reports; even now, the obit called it a "perfect splashdown"), and that he was rescued by the Kearsarge (the third of that ilk), which is a ship that's very large; but these are side issues that need not detain us. (The entire work, which may have run to all of eight lines apart from the refrain, was printed in a parent-teacher bulletin of some sort. I was no end chuffed.)

The point is, that I've never known 45 years to pass so quickly.

1 Comments:

Blogger sallie parker said...

Let's see. Shepard, Grissom, Glenn, Schirra, Carpenter. Who was the sixth? Better yet, who was the seventh? Well I'll give you the sixth. It was Cooper. The seventh never got to go up. Heart problem. He was actually going to be the first orbital. Alas.
http://www.american.edu/IRVINE/sarahg/astronauts.htm

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ultra Linking