e

Saturday, September 03, 2005

What Did I Tell You?

First verse:

If you conceive,
If you conceive,
That's the time I leave off lovin'
And levant, my love, and leave.

Lyric © 2005 Nathaniel DesH. Petrikov

I never knew until now that Jingle Jangle Jingle was an early lyric by Frank Loesser, and that he's responsible for And that song ain't so very far from wrong. Little did we know in 1942 (or whenever) that, in fifteen or twenty years, we'd look back on such nonsense as eloquent. I bring this up only to excuse the redundancy of levant . . . and leave. After leave off lovin', levant follows inevitably, so there's no help for it that I can see.

A simple frankness to the verse that the alliteration cannot entirely hide contrasts so powerfully with the absurdly clinical vaginal canal in the chorus, that I'm not sure whether an audience would realize that they're meant to laugh with me, not at me. This fear is the reason that I never attempt serious stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ultra Linking