e

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Death and Taxes Manifesto

If you suppose this blog is not going to be powered by what powers all blogs--rampant narcissism--guess again. The topics, though, may be somewhat different from those found on the run-of-the-mill blog. Just a few, off the top of my head:

1. Obituaries. I like obituaries. I like to make fun of some people after they're gone and can no longer defend themselves. For that matter, I like to praise other people after they're gone and no longer have a flack to do it for them. So there are bound to be references to obits on this blog.

2. Captain Queeg. And who is Captain Queeg? Well you may ask. He's my boss. And I call him Captain Queeg because he is the sort of guy who, with World War II exploding all around him, worries about strawberries. I call him a lot of other things, but, for now, "Captain Queeg" will do.

3. The Surrogate's Court of the State of New York (particularly Queens County; but now and then Kings, New York, Bronx and Nassau Counties, too). There's a bit of Captain Queeg in all of them.

4. Song parodies. I like song parodies, too. And, let's face it, since the deaths of Allan Sherman and "Weird Al" Yankovic (he isn't? you could have fooled me), song parodies are few and far between. So I've been forced to resurrect the practice as a cottage industry, and manufacture a few of 'em myself.

5. Anything else that strikes my fancy. This is a blog, after all.

Nathaniel DesH. Petrikov

7 Comments:

Blogger npetrikov said...

What's with the time of this post? It's about an hour and a half off.

11:08 PM  
Blogger npetrikov said...

And I see that the comment is about three hours off the other way. Hmmmmmmm.

11:10 PM  
Blogger sallie parker said...

Utterly hilarious. How are things in the South Slav Republic, y'all?

9:05 AM  
Blogger npetrikov said...

Mr. Farrand, Miss Atticum has been my mistress for many years. And you know how tiresome a mistress gets after the first twelvemonth.

8:59 AM  
Blogger sallie parker said...

Let's see...an estate atty who titles his blog Death and Taxes...remarkable Eighth House emphasis. Were you born around 2 in the afternoon, or have we covered this material already?

2:02 PM  
Blogger npetrikov said...

Sallie--I was born at 9:12 p.m., if my birth certificate and ol' Doc Sorenson's Ingersoll watch are anything to go by. What does this tell you?

The title "Death and Taxes" popped unbidden into the old noggin when I set the site up. But I know that these things are never really unbidden.

2:54 PM  
Blogger sallie parker said...

http://deathandtaxes.blogspot.com/

Might be of interest.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ultra Linking